Sunday, June 24, 2012

Honesty


I have been thinking a lot about honesty. I believe honesty requires courage.
Before I go further let me clarify. I have known some people in my life that have prided themselves on being honest but actually they were just blunt.
Honesty does not have to be harsh, and the Chelsea Handler version is not what I am talking about.
Sometimes it is better not to tell someone you don't like their new haircut, outfit, or spouse.
How does that type of honesty serve anyone?
I am talking about the kind of honesty that serves someone else and usually not yourself.
Like the person that backs into someone's car and leaves a note even though no one was watching.
Breathtaking honesty.
And I think it is one of the hottest attributes a person can have.
I immediately fell in love with a boy in the 2nd grade because he turned in some money he found on the playground.
Even at that young age I recognized this small act was unselfish, courageous, and kind of heroic.
I lost touch with this boy but I am sure he has grown into an unselfish, courageous man.
Some of the best conversations I have had in my life have been with people willing to tell the truth about their feelings, things they have learned, or their own mistakes.

One of my favorite fictional characters in literature is Valjean from Les Miserables. After stealing from a great man he decides to live a more honest life. Some could argue he continues to live a lie but I think he becomes a man of integrity which leads to a life of courageous service to others.
Masters of small things become masters of great things.
I hope to find more breathtaking honesty in the world.
I hope to find more breathtaking honesty in myself.
And to be honest, I had a crush on that boy in the 2nd grade not only because he was honest, he was pretty cute too.



 


1 comment:

  1. Julie, you are an amazing writer and I love the way you think. We may like different things, but you are one of the smartest ladies I know. I love to read your blogs and I love you. Thanks for being a great example and friend.
    Love,

    Sally

    ReplyDelete